Loading Live Scoring...
*All times CAT (GMT+2)

Rugby | Vodacom Super Rugby

Force beat Rebels in emotional clash

It might not be enough, but the Western Force stated their case for retention in the Super Rugby competition with a 31-22 win over the Melbourne Rebels on Friday.

The match pitted the two teams on Super Rugby’s death row against each other and it was always going to be an emotional encounter with pride on the line.

Either the Force or Rebels were playing their penultimate match as both were already out of finals contention.

Following Saru’s decision to axe the Cheetahs and Southern Kings, the ARU is expected to announce which Australian side will be cut shortly after the conclusion of the Super Rugby season.

In a show of solidarity from two playing groups who understand exactly the uncertainty the other is facing, the Force and Rebels walked out together before the match to the tune of Dire Strait’s classic Brothers in Arms.

However, once the game started any sympathy vanished.

Despite a double to flying Rebels winger Marika Korobeite, it was the Force who were the better side on the night, dominating territory for much of the game and running in four tries to three to claim their fifth win of the season.

The Rebels have just one win this year and paid the price for allowing two Force tries in quick succession early in the second half.

Korobeite’s two dashing runs enabled the Rebels to lead 15-14 at the break, despite Force tries to Bill Meakes and stand-in captain Adam Coleman.

This video is not available in your region
The game turned early in the second half, when the Force surged in a 10-minute burst.

The home side was denied a try in the 44th minute when the video official spotted hooker Tatafa Polota-Nau’s knock-on after the Rebels' Tom Banks lost the ball close to the try line.

In the 49th minute, Richard Hardwick spun over from close range after 12 phases as the Force took a 24-15 lead.

Just three minutes later, a long pass from Dane Haylett-Penny found a charging Chance Peni, who fended off a defender as the Force made it 31-15 in their favour.

Colby Fainga’a kept the Rebels in touch when he sliced through a gap for his first try in the 58th minute.

Reece Hodge had a long-range chance to drag his side back to within a converted try in the 69th minute, but pushed it just wide and that virtually spelled the end for the Rebels, as their frustration started to show and tempers flared.

The end of the match could have not been more contrasting to the start, with the two sides involved in a sideline melee after the final play.

However, they soon came together again and formed a circle as injured Force skipper Matt Hodgson addressed the two playing groups.

Stand-in Force captain Adam Coleman said his side improved markedly after the break.

“In the first half we really lacked continuity,” he said.

“In the second half we built a little bit more pressure and were able to get some more tries out of that.

“We talked about it at half time and we fixed it.”

Rebels skipper Nic Stirzaker lamented his team’s poor start to the second half.

“That 10 minutes after half time we slipped off a few tackles and were camped in our own half,” he said.

“The Force were able to capitalise.”

In the final round next weekend, the Rebels host the Jaguares on Friday while the Force are at home to the Waratahs on Saturday.

Force - Tries: Bill Meakes, Adam Coleman, Richard Hardwick, Chance Peni. Conversions: Grant (4). Penalties: Peter Grant.
Rebels - Tries: Marika Koroibete (2), Colby Fainga'a. Conversions: Reece Hodge (2). Penalty: Hodge.


More expert analysis and opinion from Sport24
The opinions expressed by Sport24 experts and bloggers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily represent those of SuperSport

Event Streaming

Channel Streaming

Other Live Streaming

Event Streaming

Channel Streaming

Latest Video Highlights