Kobayashi fastest in rain-soaked first practice
Kamui Kobayashi topped the times for Sauber during Friday morning's rain-drenched opening practice session for Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix.
The 25-year-old Japanese was one of a handful of drivers to complete more than ten full laps as most teams elected not to spend much time on track due to the amount of rain falling on the Spa Francorchamps circuit.
Kobayashi went fastest with half an hour remaining before improving on his time nine minutes before the end of the session, clocking a lap of the historic circuit in one minute 11.389 seconds.
Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado of Williams was just 0.5 seconds slower in second followed by Toro Rosso drivers Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Frenchman Jean-Eric Vergne who were third and fourth-quickest respectively.
Red Bull driver Australian Mark Webber, fifth quickest, was the fastest of the title contenders followed by Mexican Sergio Perez in the second Sauber.
German Nico Rosberg of Mercedes was seventh fastest followed by Finn Valtteri Bottas in the other Williams.
German Michael Schumacher, who celebrates his 300th Grand Prix this weekend was ninth fastest in the other Mercedes followed by his compatriot Sebastian Vettel who completed the top ten in the second Red Bull.
1. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Sauber - Ferrari 2:11.389
2. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Williams - Renault 2:11.941
3. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 2:12.004
4. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 2:12.824
5. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault 2:13.191
6. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Sauber - Ferrari 2:13.861
7. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 2:14.210
8. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams - Renault 2:14.660
9. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault 2:14.860
10. Michael Schumacher (Germany) Mercedes 2:15.402
11. Paul Di Resta (Britain) Force India - Mercedes 2:15.812
12. Timo Glock (Germany) Marussia - Cosworth 2:16.409
13. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes 2:16.786
14. Vitaly Petrov (Russia) Caterham - Renault 2:16.788
15. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren 2:16.827
16. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 2:16.861
17. Charles Pic (France) Marussia - Cosworth 2:17.519
18. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Caterham - Renault 2:18.199
19. Pedro de la Rosa (Spain) HRT - Cosworth 2:19.546
20. Dani Clos (Spain) HRT - Cosworth 2:19.689
21. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Renault 2:38.701
22. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 2:40.749
23. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Lotus - Renault 2:46.580
24. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari