Alonso seeks home victory
Fernando Alonso has not given up hope of beating championship leader Sebastian Vettel for the Formula One world title and also renewed his loyalty to Ferrari ahead of the team's Italian home grand prix Sunday.
"I really believe that we can win the next two races," Alonso told a news conference Thursday.
He quickly added it was a little more realistic to say that "we want to finish ahead of Sebastian" which would also cut the German's current lead of 46 points.
Alonso is without a win in six races since his second season success at his Spanish. Red Bull's Vettel boasts five victories from 11 of 19 races in 2013 and is so far on course towards a fourth straight world title.
Ferrari's main aim will be improving the car in qualifying as modest results there have cost him better results. Alonso fought from ninth on the grid to second at the last race in Belgium, but never got close to the winner Vettel.
Alonso, 32, has been at Ferrari since 2010 and is still seeking a first world title for the famed Italian team after lifting the trophy in 2005 and 2006 for Renault.
His contract runs until 2016 and Alonso reiterated that he has no intention of leaving early.
"I would like to end my career in the best team in the world and that is Ferrari," he said, adding "I believe I still have four or five years ahead of me" in his career.
Teammate Felipe Massa, meanwhile, expressed hope to have his contract renewed by another year for 2014 with Ferrari, who are not planning to announce next year's line-up in Monza.
The seventh-placed Brazilian said it was up to team principal Stefano Domenicali but also lobbied for himself by saying that "Ferrari know me very well. No team knows me better." Massa, 32, has been at the Scuderia since 2006.
Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen is rated a candidate to join Ferrari next year. The Finn was the last Ferrari driver to win the world title, in 2007 during his first stint with the team.