Rosberg outshines rivals
German driver Nico Rosberg recorded the fastest time on the first full day of the second series of Formula One testing on Tuesday, timing 1min 22.616sec in his Mercedes.
Rosberg, son of Finland's former world champion Keke, was just a fraction faster than Lotus's Kimi Raikkonen, with Spanish driver Fernando Alonso third-fastest in his new Ferrari model.
Spain's two-time world champion had not driven in the earlier testing session in Jerez but made an immediate impression here.
Alonso, who lost out on the title last season to Sebastian Vettel by just three points having led going into the final race of the season in Brazil, recorded a quickest time of 1:22.952.
He pushed three-time world champion Vettel, who had set the fastest time in the morning session, into fourth.
The German was three tenths of a second slower than Rosberg in his Red Bull.
The new season opens in Australia on March 17.
1. Nico Rosberg (GER/Mercedes) 1min 22.616sec
2. Kimi Raikkonen (FIN/Lotus-Renault) 1:22.623
3. Fernando Alonso (ESP/Ferrari) 1:22.952
4. Sebastian Vettel (GER/Red Bull-Renault) 1:22.965
5. Pastor Maldonado (VEN/Williams-Renault) 1:23.733
6. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS/Toro Rosso-Ferrari) 1:23.884
7. Sergio Perez (MEX/McLaren-Mercedes) 1:24.124
8. Paul di Resta (GBR/Force India-Mercedes) 1:24.144
9. Esteban Gutierrez (MEX/Sauber-Ferrari) 1:25.124
10. Max Chilton (GBR/Marussia-Cosworth) 1:26.747
11. Charles Pic (FRA/Caterham-Renault) 1:27.534