Kano unhappy with NFF
Kano State sports commissioner, Umar Jibril has angrily lambasted the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for moving the seventh annual congress of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) away from Kano.
The NFF last Friday met in an emergency meeting in Abuja over the melee between the NPL board chaired by Victor Baribote and the clubs owners.
Eighteen Premier League representatives had earlier met last Wednesday at the Denis Hotel, Wuse II, Abuja in which they identified lack of transparency and accountability on the side of the NPL board as the rationale for them to have kicked them out.
The NFF, however, rebuffed the resolutions reached by the club owners to impeach the NPL board and therefore ordered that the congress which was scheduled to hold in Kano last Thursday be held in Abuja on Tuesday, December 11, 2012.
Jibril told supersport.com that the decision of the NFF to change the venue of the congress to Abuja is not acceptable by the Kano State government.
“The sum of N5 million was approved by the governor when we were told that we would hold the congress and we are not happy for them to have replaced Kano with Abuja without any official reason or communication.
“Kano Pillars will campaign in the Caf Champions League this coming season, and do they want our opponents to complain to Caf that they won't play in Kano? They said Kano is not safe, yet 19 clubs came here last season and nothing happened to any of them. We are not happy at all and we need urgent explanation from them,” he said to supersport.com sadly.
While answering, NFF president, Aminu Maigari told supersport.com that the congress was changed to Abuja as most of the Premier League clubs protested not to attend the congress in Kano.
“Majority of the clubs said they will not go to Kano for the congress and I think they have a case considering what is happening in the north. We have no choice than to settle for Abuja which is a neutral ground,” Maigari said to supersport.com.