Lesotho coach seeks redemption
Lesotho coach Leslie Notsi says only a win over Sudan in Sunday’s World Cup qualifier will make up for the embarrassing seven goal thumping handed them at the start of the group phase of Africa’s 2014 World Cup qualifiers last weekend.
The mountain kingdom suffered a 7-0 defeat away at World Cup quarterfinalists Ghana in their opening Group D encounter at Kumasi last Friday in a match interrupted by a floodlight failure that delayed its completion by 90 minutes.
“We were all disappointed after losing by such a big margin to Ghana, but it is important to focus on the Sudan match and forget about happened last week,” said the youthful coach as Likuena prepared for the game at the Sesoto Stadium.
“We will once again head into the match as underdogs,” he admitted, “but it is important to get a win and give the country confidence after that humiliating loss in Ghana.”
The return of Bokang Mothoana and Lehlomela Ramabele will boost the chances of the home side.
Tunisian-based midfielder Mothoana had been suspended for the game, after being booked in both of the preliminary qualifiers against Burundi, while Ramabele, the striker based in Botswana, had a family funeral to attend.
Lesotho’s loss equaled their record heaviest defeat at international level, suffered against the Zaire in 1993. They have only ever won one World Cup qualifying tie, last November against Burundi. Their record is a single victory, four draws and 12 defeats since first entering for the 1974 finals in West Germany
Sudan got their campaign off to a winning start at home last Saturday when they humbled new African champions Zambia 2-0 in Khartoum.