Loading...
Loading Live Scoring...
*All times CAT (GMT+2)

Football | Afcon

Bolasie replaced in DR Congo Afcon squad



Yannick Bolasie has been replaced in the provisional Democratic Republic of Congo squad for the African Nations Cup finals because he does not want to go to the tournament, officials said on Tuesday.

Uncapped winger Bolasie, who plays for English Championship (second division) club Crystal Palace, was named last month in a preliminary squad of 28 for the tournament in South Africa which starts on January 19.

Bolasie's agent told the BBC last month the 23-year-old player felt he was not ready for international football and he has been replaced by Saudi-based player Yves Diba, the Congolese Football Federation said.

Diba will join up with the squad when they start a training camp in Oman on Friday.

Congo will cut their squad to 23 by January 9. They play their opening Group B match against Ghana in Port Elizabeth on January 20.



Comments

More expert analysis and opinion from Sport24
The opinions expressed by Sport24 experts and bloggers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily represent those of SuperSport

Event Streaming

Channel Streaming

Other Live Streaming

Event Streaming

Channel Streaming

Sports Talk



Sunday Oliseh
How Ranieri outfoxed the world
This time last year, Leicester fans were biting their fingernails in fear of relegation from the...

Dr Errol Sweeney
English refereeing exposed
The Premier League deciding game between Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspurs lived up to all the hype.

Calvin Emeka Onwuka
Arsene Wenger not going anytime soon
I strongly believe that had Chelsea and Jose Mourinho made a better start to the season then...

Clyde Tlou
Six points to save African football
Reaching the quarterfinals only three times in 13 World Cup appearances is a clear sign for Africa...