Loading...
Loading Live Scoring...
*All times CAT (GMT+2)

Football | Afcon

Ghana confirms Afcon budget cut



The minister of youth and sport has explained the rationale behind his outfits decision to cut down on the funding for the Ghana national team as they get ready for the African Nations Cup.

Clement Kofi Humado, says key to the reasons why $8 million the Ghana FA wanted was not given was the timing of the 2013 African Cup.

"Usually, the African Cup of Nations is held every two years but this time we are having one back to back, which is putting tremendous strain on the government," he said.

Supersport.com has previously reported that $4 million, representing half of the Ghana FA's proposed amount, has been given for the campaign. The minister further went on to ask for understanding from all stakeholders.

"You know we have only just finished an election too. At this juncture we will ask for the national team and players and everyone to sacrifice a bit for Ghana," he said.

He was speaking at the seat of government on Thursday morning when the national team met the President of Ghana to formally bid him farewell before leaving for Abu Dhabi.

The minister's remarks go a long way to corroborate an earlier report from supersport.com that the FA was in advanced talks with other agencies to get financial top ups for the campaign.



Comments

More expert analysis and opinion from Sport24
The opinions expressed by Sport24 experts and bloggers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily represent those of SuperSport

Event Streaming

Channel Streaming

Other Live Streaming

Event Streaming

Channel Streaming

Sports Talk



Dr Errol Sweeney
Refs to clamp down on dissent
Is the sight of soccer players shouting abuse at referees soon to be a thing of the past?

Calvin Emeka Onwuka
Managers readying for EPL battle
The 2016-17 Premier League season is going to be explosive. This is the one season that will not...