Adebayor pulls out of Togo team
Emmanuel Adebayor announced on Saturday he was suspending his international career with Togo national team and thus would not be participating at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations with the Sparrow Hawks who booked their place in October after edging Gabon in the final round qualifying.
“Togo international and captain of the Sparrow Hawks Emmanuel Sheyi Adebayor hereby brings to the notice of the general public that he is suspending his international career with Togo team,” the player said in a statement released by his public relations officer Amedodji Blaise in Lome.
The Tottenham forward last week denounced the nonpayment of match bonuses to players after their 1-0 win over Morocco in an international friendly last month and called on the Togo football federation officials to justify the sum of €35 000 (R 404 000) paid to the body by the Royal Moroccan Football Federation for the encounter.
The FA said the money was used to reimburse air tickets for players, pay hotel bills and other miscellaneous expenses, and was never meant to cover bonuses.
The 28-year-old former Manchester City striker put a halt to his international career early 2010 following a gunfire attack on Togo team bus in Angola. He returned definitely to the fold this year, contributing to their qualification to the South Africa 2013.
“The atmosphere currently prevailing within the Hawks will not help the team achieve its set out objectives,” the statement concluded.