PSL apologises to Aces over Khenyeza case
Any possible prosecution of Mpumalanga Black Aces for fielding the suspended Mabhuti Khenyeza last week was ended on Thursday as the Premier Soccer League moved to apologise to the newly promoted club over the furor.
Aces insists they were allowed to use Khenyeza while he was awaiting his appeal against a 12 month ban for spitting a linesman. The appeal heard next Thursday.
The league warned Aces before the match against using him but now admit their legal department did not study the rules and regulation properly and Aces were within their rights to use the newly-signed striker.
Chiefs protested on the field but did not follow through, followed by a letter sent from the PSL’s new chief executive officer Brand de Villiers, which said:
“The league did not consider all the rules, as detailed in your letter, and as such formed the wrong opinion with regards to whether Mr. Khenyeza can play or not.
“I therefore apologise unreservedly to you and your Club for any embarrassment caused as a result of our email to you.
“I also apologise for the League issuing a statement on Saturday referring to the matter - clearly this is an internal matter that should be dealt with as such and not through the media.
“The Constitution and Rules of the League are and will always be what regulates the League, its members and officials and as such is the only point of reference. However, these documents are dynamic in nature and will change as time goes by, similarly our documents may contradict the regulating documents of SAFA, CAF and or Fifa and when such instances occur it leaves the door open for interpretation which should be prevented as far as possible.
“You have every right to expect the same level of excellence and competence of me and my colleagues in dealing with the affairs of the league and as stated I am responsible and accountable for our performance.”
This video is not available in your region
A statement from Aces said they accepted the apology.