Yates takes Paris-Nice stage six
Briton Simon Yates came home alone in Friday's sixth stage of the Paris-Nice with France's Julian Alaphilippe retaining the leader's yellow jersey.
Orica rider Yates crossed the line 17sec up on Colombian Sergio Henao who gained a dozen seconds on fourth-placed Alaphilippe.
Alaphilippe heads the general classification from his compatriot Tony Gallopin, over half a minute adrift, with Henao 46sec away in third.
Yates made a decisive move on the penultimate climb 20km from the finish of the near 200km ride between Aubagne and Fayence.
The 24-year-old brother of last year's Tour de France fourth Adam Yates moves up to eighth overall at 1min37sec.
"There's still a lot of time to take away from Julian Alaphilippe but he's such a phenomenal rider. He's one of the best riders of our generation,” said Yates.
This video is not available in your region
Alaphilippe lost time when unable to stay with Henao when the South American reeled in a breakaway from Australian Richie Porte.
"It was hard, I had cramp at the foot of the climb," the Frenchman revealed.
"He (Henao) is going to be a serious rival tomorrow."
Saturday's 177km seventh and penultimate stage concludes with a 15.7km climb up to the 1678m col de la Couillole, the highest finish in the race's 75-year history.
"A rider like Henao can build up gaps on a long climb like that, but he's not the only one, I have out watch out for others too," observed Alpaphilippe.
STAGE 6 RESULTS
1. Simon Yates (GBR/ ORS) 4:37:51
2. Sergio Luis Henao Montoya (COL/ SKY) +17
3. Richie Porte (AUS/ BMC) +26
4. Julian Alaphilippe (FRA/ QST) +29
5. Daniel Martin (IRL/ QST) +29
6. Jon Izaguirre Insausti (ESP/ TBM) +32
7. Jakob Fuglsang (DEN/ AST) +32
8. Alberto Contador Velasco (ESP/ TFS) +32
9. Ilnur Zakarin (RUS/ KAT) +32
10. Tony Gallopin (FRA/ LTS) +32
11. Diego Ulissi (ITA/ UAD) +39
12. Gorka Izagirre Insausti (ESP/ MOV) +39
13. Warren Barguil (FRA/ SUN) +39
14. Patrick Konrad (AUT/ BOH) +58
15. Sam Oomen (NED/ SUN) +1:05
16. Nicholas Roche (IRL/ BMC) +1:41
17. Mikel Nieve Iturralde (ESP/ SKY) +2:24
18. Jan Polanc (SLO/ UAD) +3:47
19. Nicolas Edet (FRA/ COF) +3:50
20. Jarlinson Pantano Gomez (COL/ TFS) +3:50
31. Serge Pauwels (BEL/ DDD) +5:58
37. Kristian Sbaragli (ITA/ DDD) +6:17
82. Youcef Reguigui (ALG/ DDD) +18:08
86. Benjamin King (USA/ DDD) +18:08
111. Omar Fraile Matarranz (ESP/ DDD) +23:28
119. Natnael Berhane (ERI/ DDD) +23:28
153. Tyler Farrar (USA/ DDD) +24:51
1. Julian Alaphilippe (France/ QST) 21:58:22
2. Tony Gallopin (France/ LTS) +36
3. Sergio Luis Henao Montoya (Colombia/ SKY) +46
4. Gorka Izagirre Insausti (Spain/ MOV) +57
5. Daniel Martin (Ireland/ QST) +1:20
6. Ilnur Zakarin (Russia/ KAT) +1:31
7. Alberto Contador Velasco (Spain/ TFS) +1:34
8. Simon Yates (Great Britain/ ORS) +1:37
9. Jon Izaguirre Insausti (Spain/ TBM) +2:04
10. Warren Barguil (France/ SUN) +3:08
11. Philippe Gilbert (Belgium/ QST) +6:41
12. Rudy Molard (France/ FDJ) +7:25
13. Romain Hardy (France/ FVC) +9:59
14. Bram Tankink (Netherlands/ TLJ) +14:50
15. Richie Porte (Australia/ BMC) +15:54
16. Sam Oomen (Netherlands/ SUN) +17:53
17. Jakob Fuglsang (Denmark/ AST) +18:18
18. Steven Kruijswijk (Netherlands/ TLJ) +18:51
19. Nicholas Roche (Ireland/ BMC) +19:26
20. Yves Lampaert (Belgium/ QST) +19:37
73. Kristian Sbaragli (Italy/ DDD) +40:33
77. Serge Pauwels (Belgium/ DDD) +41:02
122. Benjamin King (United States/ DDD) +52:19
142. Youcef Reguigui (Algeria/ DDD) +59:07
148. Omar Fraile Matarranz (Spain/ DDD) +1:03:14
152. Natnael Berhane (Eritrea/ DDD) +1:04:37
155. Tyler Farrar (United States/ DDD) +1:14:58