Hivert wins stage, Valverde retains lead
Frenchman Jonathan Hivert won the first stage of the Tour of Andalusia on Monday, a 164km ride from San Fernando to Ubrique.
The 27-year-old - who is in top form having won France's first professional race of the season the Etoile de Besseges in early February - prevailed in a sprint finish ahead of Spaniard Alejandro Valverde and Dutchman Bauke Mollema.
Movistar rider Valverde retained the overall lead, holding a seven second advantage over Belgium's Jurgen Van den Broeck and Mollema, who is a further four seconds back, after the Spaniard won Sunday's prologue.
Hivert is eighth overall and 25secs off the lead.
Tuesday's second stage is the 194km ride from Trebujena to Montilla.
1. Jonathan Hivert (FRA/Sojasun) 4hr 06min 36sec
2. Alejandro Valverde (ESP) s.t.
3. Bauke Mollema (NED) s.t
4. Simone Ponzi (ITA) 3 secs
5. Davide Rebellin (ITA) s.t.
1. Alejandro Valverde (ESP/Movistar) 4hr 13min 22sec
2. Jurgen Van den Broeck (BEL) at 7 sec
3. Bauke Mollema (NED) 11
4. Simon Spilak (SLO/Katusha) 12
5. Bart De Clerq (BEL) 17