ICC backs Ajmal's bowling action
The International Cricket Council on Monday backed Saeed Ajmal's controversial bowling action following reports that India had complained about the Pakistan offspinner.
Indian television channel NDTV, quoting unnamed sources, said the team management had spoken to the ICC about Ajmal's action after Sunday's Asia Cup match between the arch-rivals in Dhaka.
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat, however, clarified that the governing body saw no problem in the offspinner's bowling style.
"We have tested Ajmal, checked him and monitored him in match situations, and found he bowls within the allowed degrees of tolerance," Lorgat told the Times Now news channel.
"We must be careful at what the eye sees and what the reality is," Lorgat said.
Ajmal claimed the wicket of batting superstar Sachin Tendulkar as India produced their best ever one-day chase to surpass Pakistan's commanding 329-6 with five wickets and 13 balls to spare.
It was the first match between India and Pakistan since the World Cup semifinal at Mohali in March last year.
The 34-year-old Ajmal, who has played 20 tests and 63 one-dayers since his international debut in 2008, has found himself under the spotlight several times due to his action.
He was first reported by match officials during a one-day series against Australia in the United Arab Emirates in 2009, but was later cleared to play after remedial work was done on his action.
Doubts about his action were again raised during the recent tests against England at the same venue, but both the ICC and the Pakistan Cricket Board absolved Ajmal of any wrongdoing.