Kuroda to challenge WBA champ
Masayuki Kuroda will challenge WBA flyweight champion Juan Carlos Reveco for his title on February 27.
The Japanese fighter’s handlers said on Monday Kuroda would fight the Argentinian at the Todoroki Arena in Kawasaki near Tokyo.
It will be a first shot at a world title for the 26-year-old Kuroda, who is ranked ninth by the WBA.
"Reveco is a strong champion, but I think I can beat him if I put in 100 per cent," said Kuroda, who has a record of 21 wins, including 13 knockouts, against three defeats and two draws.
Reveco, a former light-flyweight champion, has 29 wins, including 16 knockouts, and has lost only once.
RON JACKSON reports that Mexico, where boxing never stops, has launched the new year’s action with a WBC title fight.
Adrian Hernandez, one of many Mexican stars, won his first defence of his WBC junior flyweight belt when he beat Dirceu Cabarca of Panama in Toluca.
The 26-year-old Hernandez won the title on April 30 2011 when he stopped Gilberto Keb Baas in the eleventh round. He retained it by knocking out Gideon Buthelezi of South Africa in the second round.
The 27-year-old Cabarca was ranked at No 21 by the WBC and questions should be asked about the sanctioning of the fight. Cabarca had only two fights last year. He beat Manuel Videas on a split decision over eight rounds and stopped the inexperienced Jonatan Bravo in six.
The challenger had never been beyond eight rounds and had fought outside Panama only once. But he did well to take the champion all the way in losing on points.