Pacquiao reveals new plans
Manny Pacquiao has made major changes to his plans and preparations for his fourth fight against Juan Manuel Marquez.
The Filipino, who has held “world” titles in eight divisions, intends to increase the pace when they meet in Las Vegas on December 8.
Marquez won't be able to out-run him, Pacquiao said on Wednesday. “He is a good counter-puncher. He is very patient and sits back and waits for action.
"If I waited for him to throw the punches first, the fight would be boring. That's why I have always been the one to make the fight between us.
"I will try not to fight as slowly at the end of this fight as I did in the last three fights," Pacquiao said. "That is my focus now: I want to finish stronger in this fight."
The 33-year-old Pacquiao defeated Marquez by majority decision last year; a third gut-wrenching result for Marquez against his old foe.
In the build-up to that fight, Marquez taunted Pacquiao with claims that he was the true winner of their first two bouts – a draw in 2004 and a points win for “Pacman” in a 2008 rematch.
Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach, said they were looking at ways to break through Marquez's skilled defence.
"We have a tough fight ahead of us," Roach said. "We know Marquez is a great counter-puncher. We are working on things to defeat that style.
"Manny is looking great in training. I like what I see. He is where I want him to be right now. His focus is where it has not been for some time. He is very focused for this fight and I think it's going to be the best fight yet.
"Marquez fought at a slow pace the last time. We plan to fight at a much faster pace this time, as we did in the first fight in the early rounds. That's where we had the most success.
"Going by all the tapes we have watched, we do our best when we are more aggressive. More hand speed. We are going to use a lot of that."
Pacquiao says if the opportunity for a knockout is there he will go for it. "Right now my mind is focused on being more aggressive. If there is a chance in the ring during the fight, why not make the fight easy?"
MAYWEATHER STILL POSSIBLE
Pacquiao plans another fight in April before running unopposed for his congressional seat in the Philippines. He hasn't given up on a potential mega fight with Floyd Mayweather but said Miguel Cotto could also be an upcoming opponent.
Promoter Bob Arum said this fight would give boxing fans a clear picture of who the better fighter is.
"There was controversy after the last fight and they are matched very well," Arum said.
"Both of them will be looking for different strategies this time so that the winner will be more conclusive.
"Each of them will be more aggressive and each of them will be taking the fight to the other. That may be a disadvantage for Juan Manuel, whose biggest advantage is counter-punching. But he's going to be a lot more aggressive as well."