Boxing to benefit storm victims
Adrian Broner is not short on confidence as he gets ready to fight Antonio DeMarco on Saturday night.
"You're not just coming to a boxing show; you're coming to the Adrien Broner show," he said on Thursday. "It's going to be fun. It's going to be entertaining."
Undefeated Broner will challenge Mexico's Antonio DeMarco for his WBC lightweight title in storm-ravaged Atlantic City. The fight at the Boardwalk Hall brings boxing back to an area hit hard by superstorm Sandy.
Golden Boy Promotions are donating a portion of ticket sales to the local Girls and Boys clubs, whose buildings were damaged in the storm. Promoter Oscar de la Hoy and Caesars Atlantic City have promised to make matching donations.
DeMarco, who claimed the vacant title with an 11th-round technical knockout of Jorge Linares in October last year, will be fighting for the first time since stopping John Molina only 44 seconds into their title bout in September.
The champion, who brings a record of 28-2-1 with 21 knockouts to the bout, has won five fights in succession, but in Broner (24-0) could be his toughest challenge to date.
Broner, a former WBO super-featherweight champion, surrendered his belt after failing to make weight for a defence against Vicente Escobar in July.
He sounded confident this week about stepping up in weight. "He was fighting good guys, but he wasn't fighting Adrien Broner," he said of DeMarco's current winning streak. "I'm stronger than a lot of people think. On Saturday you'll see that."
"We are hoping that the fight between Broner and DeMarco will afford people the opportunity to forget their worries for an evening and enjoy this great night of boxing," said Richard Schaefer, chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions.
"At the same time we understand the severity of the situation and would be remiss not to make a donation to help those directly affected by this terrible storm."