More marijuana misery for Chavez
The Nevada State Athletic Commission has temporarily suspended Julio Cesar Chavez Jr after he failed a drug test.
The commission announced the standard procedural move in Las Vegas on Tuesday.
Chavez, a former middleweight champion, tested positive for marijuana use last month. Commission executive Keith Kizer said Chavez would have a disciplinary hearing within the next two months.
Chavez could receive a lengthy suspension or a significant fine on his $3 million (more than R26 million) purse for fighting Sergio Martinez.
Nicknamed “Son of the Legend”, Chavez tested positive for another banned substance after his fight with Troy Rowland in Las Vegas in November 2009, receiving a seven-month suspension from the Nevada commission.
His failed test was revealed shortly after his dramatic loss to Martinez on September 15. Chavez has already been fined $20 000 (R175 000) and suspended indefinitely by the WBC, whose belt he lost to Martinez.
The Argentinian beat him on points and traces of marijuana were found in Chavez's urine after the bout. He has since expressed regret for what he did and issued an apology to fans.
The money he had to pay the WBC will be donated to a medical centre that cares for children with cancer. The WBC also suspended him for an undefined time, so he can enter a rehab centre.
“The WBC will open its doors once again to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, so he can continue his successful career when he feels he can return. The suspension will last as long as the rehab centre advises," the WBC said.
Chavez tested positive for a diuretic in 2009 and was hit with a seven-month ban as well as being stripped of a victory and fined $10nbsp 000 – ten per cent of that fight's purse.