Forgot Password

 

Register

 

Create your Connect ID

This will allow you to login to all DStv websites & applications




or
Login using
x

Email Reset

 




Loading...
Loading Live Scoring...
*All times CAT (GMT+2)

Boxing | International

Virus KOs Cleverly's defence



Nathan Cleverly has withdrawn from a defence of his WBO light-heavyweight title in London next week.

The Welshman has a viral infection.

Cleverly was scheduled to face Kosovo's Robin Krasniqi at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday, April 28.

He said on Tuesday he had been unable to train for what would have been the fourth defence of his title.

"I've been laid up in bed with a viral infection and there's not enough time to make up what I've missed in training to make sure I'm fully fit," Cleverly explained.

"I've taken the advice of my doctor. I have been told to fully rest before attempting to start training again.

"I'm really disappointed because I was looking forward to being the first fighter to bring boxing back to the Royal Albert Hall in over a decade, and the first of the century."

Cleverly's last defence was a points win over Tommy Karpency of the United States in Cardiff on February 25.



Comments

More expert analysis and opinion from Sport24
The opinions expressed by Sport24 experts and bloggers are theirs alone, and do not necessarily represent those of SuperSport

Sports Talk



Ron Jackson
Fighting Jack of all trades
It seems far-fetched, but they say Jack Ellmore made his professional debut when he was twelve...

Ron Jackson II
Shocking Sunday at Brakpan
One of the greatest upsets in the history of heavyweight boxing occurred at Brakpan, east of...