Thorpe focuses on heavy training
Ian Thorpe has returned to the pool and said on Thursday he was looking for a heavy block of training laps as he contemplates his next competition.
The five-time Olympic gold medallist missed out on place at a third Olympic Games in London after failing to qualify in the 100-metre and 200-metre freestyle at last week's selection trials in Adelaide.
Thorpe, 29, said he planned to continue swimming and has returned to the pool ahead of increased training.
"I'm still disappointed but once the competition was over I found the resolve to continue doing what I'm doing and I'm as motivated as what I was before," Thorpe said.
While Thorpe has not completely ruled out aiming for the Rio Olympics in 2016, his next target could be next year's world championships in Barcelona.
But Thorpe said he has yet to decide on where and when he will return to competition.
"I have literally no idea when I'll be back in competition," Thorpe said.
"It will be sometime during this year but I most definitely haven't made any decision on which competition it will be.
"The next phase for me is really a pretty significant training block."
Thorpe has expressed an intention to spend more time training in Australia this year after doing his comeback training in Switzerland last year.
The Olympic great, who had retired in 2006, had a string of disappointing results leading up to the Olympic trials since his comeback in Singapore last November.
The "Thorpedo" ruled the pool from 1998 to 2004, taking nine Olympic medals and 11 world titles, while setting 13 long course world records.